StatCounter

Thursday, May 9, 2013

The sailing bug takes another bite




I'd finally gotten the household chores done and it was on to the boat project. After cutting out a couple of intricate side panels, my lovely wife and I had lunch.

While sipping our coffee on the deck, we looked out over the lake. A cold front was moving in and the wind was picking up. With no debate, we decided we must take our sailboat out. That's all there was to it.

Sailing on a small mountain lake with a storm moving in is . . . lively. One minute the air is almost dead, then a 35 knot gust comes out of nowhere. There are constant changes in wind speed and direction. The lake isn't all that big, so at hull speed one quickly runs out of water.

It's really great sailing practice. Before long my lovely wife and I were working like a well oiled machine. By the time we called it quits, the little lake was covered in white caps.

There's no sense living on a lake, with a boat in the water, if one isn't prepared to drop everything and go sailing.


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Wise move. We all need a little fun at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta be ready to do the "sailing thing" at any time! Never know when the wind will call your name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today there's no wind at all, so I'm glad we listened to the wind.

      Delete
  3. I have been known, on a moments notice, to push my rubber duck (its yellow) from one end of my bathtub to the other....where it promptly sank.

    You lucky booger you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lovely wife and I worked hard to make a life for ourselves here. It would be silly not to be able to enjoy it now and then.

      Delete
  4. Some friends of ours just bought a house on a canal. "Keep It Sailing Stupid" will soon have a new home right on the water. Launch and be sailing in minutes! That's the life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! About time you put KISS back in the water.

      Delete